Hungry for a Hamburger?
Happy International Burger Day! If one thing is for sure, you cannot go wrong with a classic hamburger – whether it’s date night, an evening in, or family lunch, everyone loves a good burger.
In honour of this fantastic day, we have found four of our favourite burger recipes for you to try out & we’ve paired them each with one of our DELUSH Wines!
You can’t go wrong with a classic hamburger, and this recipe adds a bread paste to the mince which makes the patties extra juicy! Pair this with our DELUSH Red!
2 pieces white bread cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/3 cup low-fat milk
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
3 pounds 85% lean ground beef
3 spring onions, finely sliced (optional)
Non-flammable cooking spray to grease grill
10 hamburger buns
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl, mash the bread and milk together with a fork until it forms a chunky paste. Mix in the salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup.
- Add the ground beef and spring onions and break the meat up with your hands. Gently mix everything together until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the mixture into ten equal portions and form loose balls. Flatten the balls into 3/4-inch patties about 4-1/2 inches around. Form a slight depression in the centre of each patty to prevent the burgers from puffing up on the grill.
- Grill the burgers, and serve with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Before serving, toast the buns on the cooler side of the grill if desired.
For something a little different, why not try these marinated Korean-style burgers? Pair this with our DELUSH Sparkling for a special treat!
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1-1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 slice white or whole wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed and torn into 1/4-inch pieces
1-1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped scallions, from 4 to 5 scallions
5 hamburger buns
Lettuce leaves, for serving (optional)
3/4 cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann’s or Duke’s
1/4 cup Asian chilli sauce
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, and sandwich bread. Stir, then let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the bread to soften. Mash the mixture with a fork into a paste (it won’t get completely smooth but try to get it as uniform as possible). Add the beef and scallions. Using your hand, mix until well combined. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions, shaping each into loose balls. Flatten the balls into 3/4-inch thick patties about 4-1/2 inches around. Form a slight depression in the centre of each patty to prevent the burgers from puffing up on the grill.
- Place the patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill, covered until nicely browned on the first side, 2-4 minutes. Flip burgers and continue cooking for a few minutes more until the desired doneness is reached. Before serving, toast the buns on the cooler side of the grill if desired.
- Place 1 patty on the bottom half of each bun; top each serving with lettuce leaves, chilli-mayonnaise, and the top half of bun.
FOR THE CHILLI MAYONNAISE
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Asian chilli sauce, and sugar. (Note that this makes a spicy sauce; use less Asian chilli sauce for a milder version.)
For the vegetarian in the house, here’s a flavourful alternative to the traditional beef burger. Pair this with our DELUSH Rosé!
1 can of Chickpeas, drained
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 handful of fresh coriander,
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp chilli powder (optional)
½ cup cooked quinoa (or cooked lentils)
2 tbsp flour of choice
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
Sunflower oil (for frying)
- Add all the ingredients (except the oil) to a food processor. Pulse the mixture until the ingredients are minced but not completely smooth.
- Use your hands to form the falafel mixture into burgers.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry until brown and crispy, (about 5 minutes per side).
- Lightly toast the buns on a pan then add a generous dollop of smashed avocado, falafel burger, mayonnaise, sriracha, fresh tomato, and fresh rocket.
For a lighter alternative, swap out the red meat for chicken! Pair this with our DELUSH White!
500g chicken mince (or breast)
4 wholemeal burger buns, toasted
2 garlic cloves
1/2 small chilli, deseeded and diced
2 tbsp yellow curry paste
1/4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
1 spring onion stalk, roughly chopped
1 slice of bread, wholemeal
1 medium tomato, sliced thinly
1 small cucumber, sliced into thin ribbons
1/4 cup Japanese mayo (between all burgers)
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- In a food processor, add chicken, garlic, chilli, yellow curry paste, coriander, lime, spring onion and the slice of wholemeal bread. Blend until a fine paste.
- Shape the chicken mixture into 4-6 patties. Place chicken patties on a hot pan with a splash of olive oil, and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Toast the bread buns and layer with chicken, cucumber, tomato, mayo and red onion.